The World – Libya
The General Authority for Search and Identification of Missing Persons announced on Wednesday that it had “discovered four new graves, two of which were from the mass graves, and two individuals in Tarhuna, in the area of the link project.”
It stated that “12 unidentified bodies were recovered from the four sites.”
An official in the authority, Lotfi Tawfiq, told AFP on Wednesday at the place where the graves were found, that “the technical teams continue to exhume the bodies from inside the mass graves” since receiving the first notification about them in early June.
“98 bodies have been recovered to this date,” he said.
The head of the Tarhunah Victims Association, Abd al-Hakim Abu Naama, said on his part that there were “16 reports about mass graves that had not been opened.”
Libya has been witnessing chaos and violence since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2011. The United Nations-recognized Government of National Accord and headquartered in Tripoli is competing for power, and a parallel government in the east supported by the Libyan Parliament headed by Aqila Saleh and Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, who leads the “National Army.” Libyan ”.
The crisis worsened last year after Haftar’s forces launched an offensive to control Tripoli, but after more than a year, the forces loyal to the Government of National Accord managed to regain control of all of western Libya.
Since that neighborhood, mass graves have been found in succession. And the recovery process takes a long time due to the lack of capabilities.