The world – the Americas
US National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien said in a statement issued Friday, hours after the Russian president’s announcement: “Putin’s response today regarding extending the New START treaty without freezing nuclear warheads is an idea that is doomed to failure from the start.”
O’Brien added: “The United States deals very seriously with the issue of arms control to ensure security in the whole world. We hope that Russia will review its position before the start of an expensive arms race.”
Earlier Friday, the Russian president put forward an initiative to extend the “New START” treaty to limit strategic offensive weapons with the United States for a year unconditionally.
Putin said at a meeting of the National Security Council that the collapse of the treaty, which expires on February 4, without replacing it with another similar agreement, would be “very regrettable.”
He pointed out that the treaty concluded in 2011 has played in recent years its primary role in curbing the arms race and ensuring arms control.
The third version of the Strategic Offensive Reduction Treaty, which was concluded between Russia and the United States in 2010, as an extension of the agreement signed in 1991 in Moscow, is the only working deal between the two parties on arms reduction, due to Washington’s withdrawal, on August 2, 2019, from the Intermediate Missile Disarmament Treaty. And short term.
While Russia has repeatedly affirmed its readiness to extend the Treaty on Strategic Offensive Control with the United States, the administration of US President Donald Trump has not expressed its desire to do so, while calling for negotiations on a broader tripartite agreement on nuclear weapons that includes China.
Russia and the United States have so far held two rounds of negotiations on the issue of the treaty, which were held in the Austrian capital Vienna on June 22 and August 18, and so far have not yielded any concrete results.